Car cooling system services
Living in Australia, some drivers might argue that a car’s cooling system is one of its most important functions. Your cooling system is extremely important for your car as it removes excess heat from the engine so it does not overheat. Regular servicing of your car’s cooling system is vital to maintain reliable performance and to avoid costly engine repairs.
For additional information about keeping your car cool, visit our tips and advice page.
Common cooling system issues and warning signs
Some of the signs that there are problems with your cooling system include:
- Car overheats (see engine temperature gauge).
- Puddle of (greenish or brownish) cooling fluid under the car.
How does the cooling system work?
A little less than a third of the energy generated by your car through burning fuel is converted to mechanical energy to run your car; the rest converts to heat. Some of that heat is blown straight out of the exhaust, but the rest heats the engine itself. Your car’s cooling system works by moving coolant through the engine, where it picks up heat, and then passing that heated coolant through the radiator, where the heat is transferred to the surrounding air. The cooling system must have enough cooling capacity to cool a car under extreme conditions such as when towing a caravan or operating in scorching heat, as well as maintaining the correct engine operating temperature in extreme cold, such as on a visit to the snowfields.
Cooling system components
A car’s basic cooling system is made up of the radiator, radiator hoses water pump, heater core, thermostat and a cooling fan. Each has a different function:
- Radiator:Coolant that’s passed through the engine is then pumped through the radiator tubes, cooled off and continually recirculated through the system.
- Radiator hoses:Rubber hoses transfer the coolant fluid from one location to another and need to be checked regularly and replaced before they become brittle and cracked.
- Water pump:This water pump circulates the coolant through the system. The pump is usually driven by either a drive belt or sometimes by the engine’s timing belt.The water pump requires regular inspection for signs of corrosion, bearing operation and seal leaks.
- Thermostat:The thermostat controls the coolant circulation rate to ensure your engine maintains a constant operating temperature. If the thermostat fails to operate correctly, it could cause increased engine wear, poor fuel economy or even an overheated engine – resulting in costly repairs.
- Cooling fan:These are used for either primary or added cooling. The fan draws air through the radiator when you aren't moving fast enough to maintain the optimum engine operating temperature. You’ll often hear the fan when parked in traffic or when the air-conditioning is switched on, as the cooling system requires constant air movement to operate efficiently.
Cooling system repairs
The coolant can lose its properties when it gets older and it begins to allow the water to corrode your engines internal parts. Water pumps fail, radiators fail and more. These failures can lead to disastrous engine problems. Additionally, if there is a leak in your cooling system, you risk the same problems.
Our trained technicians will carefully examine and test each part of your cooling system and highlight any areas that require work or replacement components. All work is backed by our industry-leading Australia-wide guarantee. Maintenance and repair work on your cooling system should always be carried out by a professional.
Does your cooling system need to be checked?
If your car needs its cooling system checked, please call us on 1300 772 579 to book a service, or click here to find your nearest store.
How can I find a cooling systems shop near me?
At Kmart Tyre & Auto Service we offer industry-leading guarantees on all car cooling systems repairs and services. Drop in to one of our stores across Australia and our technicians will be happy to help!
With over 250 stores Australia-wide you’re sure to find a Kmart Tyre & Auto Service store nearby for cooling system repair services. We have locations in major cities including Sydney, Brisbane & Melbourne.